Thursday 19 April 2012

children+art

I visited the 'developing nicely' exhibition that my work was displayed in at Poole lighthouse for a talk with some year 5 children from a local primary school about our work and why photography is important. I really enjoyed getting a perspective on my work by the children as it seemed to add branches to my work and leave much room for improvement after what they had said. The way they look and perceive images is completely different to how the adults at the exhibition prior to that day saw my images and they rest of the images displayed. As well as this, the way the children used the exhibition space was more of a playground and I tried to capture this through a few images.


I put these two images together as they seem to be quite significant. The way in which the girls are pushing the wall could be interprated in different ways, do they like the images they are seeing? Are they attempting to create a response to the images? Have they taken notice of the images? Are they just messing about? The second image shows the boys looking at the photo, they are extremely close to the image which is different to how adults would look at pictures as usually they take a step back rather than look so close up. Why are they so close? Does it change the way they percieve the image being so close?
This image is also quite entertaining as the girls picked this image as their 'favourite picture' out of all the images on show that day. When I asked them why, I recieved answers such as 'this shows the man fighting back' 'the swear words are very bad' ( reference to the image that was above this photograph). 'The riots were important to us too'. The way in which the girls are standing in front of the picture is interesting as if the men turned around would their expressions be similar?

No comments:

Post a Comment